Thursday, May 24, 2007

Recently I've had a bout with a nasty stomach virus. I'm actually thinking it was the stomach flu with the way it hit me. I started out with a low grade fever and tremendous headache along with minor aches. Then it got serious. Trip after trip to the throne with watery dehydrating movements.
After talking to a close friend of mine he suggested along with the pharmacist and even a nurse practioner that I take some acidophilus. This is the healthy and friendly bacteria that occurs naturaly in our intestinal tract. Now at first this was not on my list as to how to treat diarrhea however I gave it a shot because the logic behind it made sense to me. I also have a strong inclination that regular over the counter medication used for diarrhea can actually be harmful to your system.
Well after a few doses the diarrhea decreased in frequency. Stomach pains even subsided. It could be the virus ran its course. However I know of a few people who had the same thing and it lasted over a week! Mine has only been going for 3 days.All of this reminds me again of the need to search for natural remedies. Something else I learned about antibiotics and modern medicine blew me away. Taking regular perscribed antibiotics can lead to something called ADD. Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea. What happens is this. The antibiotics kill off the good bacterial flora in your gut which upsets the normal balance leading to a proliferation of the bad. This in turn leads to watery diarrhea.
So the next time your bowels are functioning as they should whether it be from antibiotic medication,diarrhea or something else. Consider taking some readily availabe acidophilus. Oh and by the way. You'd have to eat like five gallons of yogurt to get the right quantities your intestines need!

No comments: